Thursday, September 20, 2012

Blog Post Three

Think about our conversation regarding the four big ideas of media studies. Then, reflect on the commercial clips that we viewed and discussed. What did you learn? Was there any information or ideas that surprised you? What kinds of thinking did you have to do to participate in the conversation about the commercials? Discuss your thinking and comment on any new ideas that came to you through our discussions.

The commercials we've watched in class have brought me to many different realizations about advertisements and how we are supposed to see them. Advertisers have lots of different tactics they use to draw people in and really listen to them. Some of these are music, pacing, catchy jingles, logos, short and sweet phrases , or easy connections to our lives. For example Coke's phrase is "open happiness" when I see this, I think of Coke. Another example is the Dove commercial where they show a little girl's face and then pile endless pictures and videos of models, plastic surgery, music videos, make up, beauty product advertisements, etc. At the end they say to talk to your daughter before the advertisements do. This connects to people with children or who know young kids who could be influenced by society. Advertisers are very smart because they know ads like this will be watched or heard because they play into our every day lives. A lot surprised me but the main thing was just how oblivious I was to these commercials. I've never challenged the thought or meaning behind an ad or commercial and now that I have I see that they are solely geared toward persuading us into wanting their product or believe their ideas. To participate in a conversation about this you need to actually think about every angle the advertisers are trying to get at and how. Like the tactics they use, or what kind of impact they are trying to make, or just what they want you to think after watching. Once you've broken down an advertisement I think it's a lot easier to converse about commercials because you actually understand them and their end goal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment