Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Blog Post Two

What kinds of advertisements do you see on a daily basis? Where and in what format do you see them? Do you believe these ads are affecting your life at all? Why or why not?

On a daily basis I see all kind of advertisements. I see them walking to school on buses and on billboards. I see them in school on clothes kids wear and after school on the Internet and television. These advertisements are mainly for food, clothes, cars, and travel. Sometimes I don't even realize I'm seeing an advertisement and next thing you know I'm persuaded to buy something that I really don't need. That brings me to the question on if these ads are affecting my life at all and the answer is an obvious yes. We are a consumer driven nation and I am not any different. There's always things I see or hear about and automatically say I need to have that, and I know I'm not alone. This summer Jimmy Johns had a $1 sub day which I heard about on a daily basis for at least a week. Their advertisements worked perfectly, I went and so did SO many other people. The line that day stretched far past the door. Funny thing is I could have made a sandwich for lunch at home just fine, I wouldn't have spent a dollar or waisted gas money but there was so much hype on the Internet and radio that I just really felt the need to attend. Looking back it's kind of crazy that their advertisements got so much attention and worked so well but that's just how our society is. We are subconsciously persuaded into thinking we need it now just because something's said to be worth it, good, or helpful, but that's exactly what advertisements want out of us - we let them do their job. 

2 comments:

  1. Advertisements and media has shaped our society subconsciously. We don't realize but then we are persuaded into doing one thing then another. Advertisements win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree, I probably strive on advertisements. Some would say that advertisements and the media are the forces that shape who our nation is. We are constantly trying to be better or trying to be like somebody else; never letting the unique person inside come out of your heart.

    ReplyDelete