Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Blog Post One

Imagine that television, movies, the internet, etc. were never invented. How would you be spending your free time without these things? How would you have grown up without these things?

I am a twenty first century kid meaning I have grown up in a very technological world and I've always been around technology. For me it's hard to go without the internet, phone, or my camera for a day, never less its hard to think about a world without it. If I grew up without technology I'd be spending my time doing the "old fashion things" my parents did. I know I'd probably read, and play games, hang out with friends, maybe I would get more involved with sports or get better at art. I might be forced to find a real hobby or new passion (right now mine is photography but that's only possible with technology). I would have grown up in a completely different world. No home videos to look back at or TV shows for my parents to turn on so I'd fall asleep. School would be very different. No typed essays or online blog assignments. Math would be much less efficient without a calculator and Spanish without an online translator. A world without technology means more free time to go out and do useful things with yourself. Time to independently become creative and stretch your imagination. Compared to this modern day world, a world without technology seems unimaginable.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, you would have to be very independent without technology. School would be different as well as everyday life. We grew up with technology & our grandparents didn't. They turned out just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'd be a lot smarter, too. You think IB Math is hard? Without certain technology, e.g. a calculator, you would have to do every problem using your brain. Also, technology has made us agoraphobic. Kids who've had a lot of exposure to technology, like the internet (which this point is mainly for), dread going outside to play and usually just sit around and think about what they're going to do when they're able to go back inside onto their livelihood. Some kids even get addicted to technology, and you can usually tell when you take that away. They throw huge fits and just rampage around and protest until you give it back, kind of like in "The Velt."

    Wow... I was supposed to write a comment and I wrote an essay, so I guess I'll stop here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic job, Meg! I especially liked what you said about being able to "become creative and stretch your imagination" without technology. I agree and disagree with this though. I think that we would certainly be able to be creative in a more traditional way without our modern technology, but we have even more opportunities to be creative and imaginative with the technologies of today - like photography! By the way, I would love to see some of your photos! - Ms. Pederson

    ReplyDelete